The aim is to master basic communication skills by the students in order to cope with everyday situations during their study period in Poland. The course will help students learn how to communicate in Polish, to understand Polish culture, and to function effectively in a Polish setting. Students will master basic grammatical categories of the language, including vocabulary of up to 1000 words.
The course covers the following issues:
- Introducing ourselves, asking about feelings, expressing feelings;
- Description of person’s characteristic features;
- Giving information and asking about family, friends, etc.;
- Asking for information, giving ways and directions how to get to a place, etc.;
- Ordering meals in a restaurant and buying food in a shop;
- Numbers from 1-100;
- Expressing abilities, daily routines, past and present events.
Upon the course completion students should acquire language skill at A1 level and they should be able to:
- Read and write in Polish and comprehend short conversations on everyday topics;
- Write and translate simple texts, write short essays, letters and advertisements;
- Make polite requests, ask for information, respond to requests and descriptions, impart personal information, actively participate in simple discussions on everyday topics and make apologies;
- Master the writing system, including spelling and punctuation.
Additionally students will be familiarized common knowledge about culture, beliefs and behavioral patterns of Polish society in order to deal properly with Polish cultural norms.