Many common beliefs and philosophical assumptions underlie educational practices. The aim of the course is to enhance awareness of this reality.
- What is the philosophy of education?
- The assumptions about human nature, origins of knowledge, the world of values and education.
- The historical and practical background of education in antiquity, middle ages and modern era.
- How to teach and educate now? Authority, democracy and freedom in education.
- Current issues in education from the philosophical point of view (anti-pedagogy, e-learning, Khan Academy, global education).
Essay: Philosophy and education in the twentieth century – selected concepts and thinkers
The Philosophy of Education: An Introduction, ed. R. Bailey, Continuum 2010, ISBN- 9781847060198.